Monday, January 10, 2011

Finalmente Estamos Aquí

We arrived in Spain on Saturday morning, welcomed by rain and Pasero, our program director. She helped us get our cell phones and set everything up for our stay in the hostel. It's very nice here, probably one of the nicest hostels we'll stay at from what I have been told about most hostels in Europe. Kara and I are rooming together, which is rough because we hate each other a lot. Just kidding. Anyways, We're here until Sunday, and then we have to move in with our host families. I'm living with a woman named Julia - I brought her a box of chocolates from Graham's so hopefully she'll like me right off the bat. But who doesn't?

We have been traipsing around Madrid for the past two days, and the buildings are absolutely gorgeous. Like seriously. I probably look like such a tourist because as I've walked around, I've been wide-eyed trying to try to take in all of the buildings, statues, and españoles, too.

Me and Kara almost missed our bus tour yesterday (at least I think it was yesterday... we're still working on the jetlag so It's hard to keep track of time). We were supposed to meet our group at noon, but we slept through our alarms and didn't wake up until 11:45. Then began a mad rush around the room to get ready really fast, and run to the Metra to get to Moncloa where everyone was waiting for us. We got there around 12:20 and our group was still there, so we luckily didn't miss anything. It was really nice to see the city, but then it started raining (which has been the trend thus far) as soon as we started our walking tour. It's difficult to take pictures while you're trying simultaneously to hold an umbrella and not get pickpocketed.

Today we had to get up super early to go take our placement exam for the orientation course. I got put with the dumb group, but we don't have to be at the school until 11 which is a good thing I suppose.

The restaurant we have been going to for all of our meals serves us french fries with everything, which is pretty annoying. We ate at a different place yesterday for lunch where I was served an entire fried fish. Eyeballs, scales, tail, the whole shebang. If you asked me to choose, I'd pick the french fries.

Hasta luego.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say being in the dumb group is a good thing. You will be one of the smartest, but will learn and still be able to have fun. I'll pray that the rain, rain goes away. Love you:)

    ReplyDelete