Sunday, May 1, 2011

¿Mini Box?

During the first weekend in April, I went with a group of my friends to Palma de Mallorca, which is a city in one of the islands that makes up Las Islas Baleares off the eastern coast of España. To be frank, it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

We spent our first day lazing around on the beach. Unfortunately for me, I misjudged just how powerful the rays were and ended up with a bright red sunburn. Normally I'm really careful with that sort of thing, but being out in the sun for the first time after a long, grueling winter (read: relatively mild Spanish winter) is exhilarating, and I wasn't paying close enough attention too my poor piel. But I paid the price - my burnt legs were itchy for a week. Oops.

Give Peace a Chance

So we were laying out on a section of the beach that was pretty much deserted, but we were being frequently approached by different Spanish women who would walk up and down the beach offering massages to sunbathers. At first I was definitely hesitant to even consider paying a random stranger for a massage. I mean, what if she had warts on her hands or something? But my friend Mooney (fearless as she is) decided to go for it, so of course we all wanted one after that. Let me tell you something. Getting a massage on the beach on an island in the Mediterranean was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was so surreal. How lucky I am.

The next day we rented bikes and rode them all along the coast of Mallorca. I'm still not sure if I would describe the experience as "fun". Of course the views were spectacular and it was cool to see more of the island, but it was a terrifying experience. I'm not the most coordinated person, and my biking skills were a little rusty. The path that we had to bike along was probably two feet wide in some places, and veering off would have surely been the end of me. It was super nerve racking, and I was freaking out for the majority of the time. But by the end of the day we had biked to an area with cliffs and boulders where we were able to relax and watch the sunset. Not only was it fun to climb on the rocky slopes, but it also provided us with a breathtaking view, well worth the dangerous (life threatening?) bike ride.

Photo Credit: Lauren Acree
(My camera broke on the trip so I didn't get to take any of my own pictures.)


Our hostel in Mallorca was great. We had a whole apartment-style suite to ourselves, complete with living area and kitchen. One of the nights, we invited over one of our friends from Marquette who randomly also happened to be visiting Mallorca that weekend. He brought with him a group of friends from Holland who he had met at his hostel. [Sidebar: Let me tell you something. Most of my close friends (or honestly, even my brief acquaintances) will agree that I am a little left of center. That is to say, I'm not your run of the mill twenty-something girl. I admit I'm a little weird at times, but at least I can say with certainty that I'm not a boring person.] These kids from Holland were off the charts with their weirdness. I don't mean that in a bad way - it was both refreshing and relieving to have proof that even in other countries, people don't take life too seriously. They were goofy and odd (maybe in part due to our language barrier) but an absolute riot to hang out with.

My favorite song to listen to during this trip was the No-No Song by Ringo Starr. Listen here. I dare you not to smile.

Normalcy is dull. Life is beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment